As members of the Newhaven College teaching and learning community we should each aspire to contribute to a positive and sustainable learning culture which recognised ongoing improvement as a core value. Our aim is for each student to develop approaches to learning which are characterised by self-confidence, independence, pride in work, resilience and higher-order thinking. This vision requires us to make thinking visible in order to generate ongoing improvement.
As members of the Newhaven College community, we strive constantly to be aware of and dedicate ourselves to acting in accordance with our values in all that we do. Our core values are:
- Respect – treating oneself, others and the environment with care and compassion; embracing the values and beliefs of others.
- Excellence – seeking to accomplish worthy and admirable outcomes in everything you do; approaching life with resilience and perseverance; embracing challenges with enthusiasm and confidence.
- Responsibility – being accountable for one’s own actions; resolving differences in constructive and peaceful ways; contributing to the community and behaving in an environmentally sustainable way.
- Honesty – being sincere and seeking the truth; being truthful to yourself and with others.
- Empathy – being open to others and their cultures; accepting and respecting diversity within a democratic society; understanding the beliefs and experiences of others.